WNKU sponsors second annual Road Rally, involves community

Auto enthusiasts will join together on Northern Kentucky University’s campus to show off their cars. They will take a scenic drive of Campbell County while competing in a scavenger hunt, and finishing with a car show.

On April 22, the Friends of Steely Library and WNKU will host the second annual Road Rally. The event is open to street-legal vehicles with drivers 18 and up who have valid driver’s licenses. The rally will be followed by a car show organized by Cincy Custom Street Machines.

“We brought about 60 people to campus that had not been here before,” said Friends of Steely Library President Michael Murray. “Our hope is to bring people to campus and spread the university’s and the library’s good name out into the community.”

Rally participants will be given a packet containing directions, a scavenger list and tour questions. Throughout the drive, each team can complete the list and questions to receive points. The team with the highest number of points will win a trophy.

“It’s just not a three-hour drive out in the country as much as it is a contest,” Murray said. “It’s just a fun thing for the people in the car, be it two be it three or four people, however big the team.” A team consists of as many people as they can fit in a vehicle.

WNKU general manager Chuck Miller participated in the rally last year. “It was a fascinating drive,” he said. “I had no idea [Campbell county] was so pretty.” After taking his 57’ Chevy Bel Air convertible on the rally, he got the inspiration to add a car show to the event.

Murray said he believes this year’s event will have more of a draw, especially with students. “Because there will actually be a show on campus that the students, either the commuters or the people living on campus, can come to,” he said.

During the car show, local nonprofit organizations will be promoting their businesses. Participating organizations include the Brighton Center, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati and Kentucky Tails.

According to Veronica Ruschman, a junior communications studies major, it’s a good way to get involved with the community. “It could really not only open up opportunities for volunteering, but even networking,” Ruschman said.

The show will feature cars from antiques to hybrids. “I think it is so interesting some of the cars out there,” Ruschman said. “Maybe you can see something new that’s normally not on the road.”

There will be giveaways and some of the animal shelters will allow the opportunity to pet a dog or two. The Baptist Campus Ministry will be selling food and refreshments as a fundraiser for their organization.

Proceeds will benefit the Friends of Steely Library, WNKU, Kids Café and Action Ministries.

For more information and cost for entering the rally or car show visit http://friendsofsteely.nku.edu/news_and_events or contact Sandi Webster at 859-572-5636 or websr@nku.edu