Students showcase talent during Family Weekend

For students who live on campus, homesickness can add to the stress of living on their own. Northern Kentucky University’s Family Weekend is an event that helps alleviate the feelings of missing home by bringing students’ families together on campus. Held each fall, the families get to experience everything NKU has to offer.

Friday night kicked off with a Welcome Dinner followed by a talent show. Roughly 300 people in attendance enjoyed the talents of professional comedian host Tracey Ashley and ten student talent acts.

The three-person judging panel consisted of Admissions Counselor for Undergraduate Admissions Jennifer Mimms, Coordinator of New Student Orientation Jeff Iker, and Promotions Coordinator for Q102 and recent NKU alumna Nicole Egbert.

From singers to dancers to instrument players, the judges had a multitude of talents to choose from when selecting their winners.

The first act of the night was a performance of “Suddenly Seymour” by sophomore theatre and dance major Jessica Adamson and freshman theatre and dance major Cody Dale. They were followed by freshman middle grades education major Clay Tyler, who played acoustic guitar and sang “Somewhere With You” by Kenny Chesney. The third act of the night was Steven Middlemas, a sophomore theatre and dance major who sang an acapella rendition of Teddy Geiger’s “For You I Will.” Matt Hofmeister filled the fourth act with his rendition of “Lunatic Fringe” by Red Rider, singing and playing both the bass and keyboard. Hofmeister was followed by junior physical education major Justin Grove, who freestyle danced with a friend from the Art Institute of Cincinnati.

Freshman theatre and dance major Hattie Clark won the crowd over with her rendition of “Who’s Loving You” by the Jackson 5 and finished to a standing ovation by some members in the crowd. In the end, she took home the first place prize.

“I don’t even know what to say. I’m just really excited!” Clark said.

Sophomores Abby Potts and Miki Abraham received second place for their acoustic duet of “Someone Like You” by Adele. Freshman DJay Dodson rounded out the winners in third place for his original spoken word poetry.