Students seek better entertainment options at Bank of Kentucky Center

“I think it looks bad, because they’re not really using it,” Northern Kentucky University junior, Ashley Fritz said when asked about how there are no events being aimed at students at the Bank of Kentucky Center.

The venue currently has two scheduled events this semester. This includes The Casting Crowns, and The Christmas Music of Mannheim Steamroller by Chip Davis. Both of which according to Matt Merchant, the marketing director at the Bank of Kentucky Center, are drawing out older crowds.

“Who are the Casting Crowns and why are there no concerts?” asked recent NKU grad Kristin Stamper. That’s what some students are wondering.

Kyle Biggs, a junior at NKU has never attended an event at the venue, but said, “If they could pull in more concerts, I would go.”

Funds from NKU”s general operating budget help operate the BOKC, so it’s understandable why students would want a reason why there are no concerts. Senior Director of the Budget Office, Ken Kline, said that tuition does factor into the general maintenance fund, but that the BOKC received state funding.

“But that’s all mixed together, what’s the difference where it comes from when funds are needed for either the university itself or Bank of Kentucky Center,” Kline said.

Kline also explained that the venue is meant to be regional, and the reason it is on NKU’s campus is because the location is convenient to residents in the tri-state area.

According to Merchant, “There are three or four events in the works that have not yet been announced, but they will definitely be something the students will be interested in.”

Past concerts have included — Carrie Underwood, Jay-Z, Jason Aldean, Bob Dylan and Martina McBride.
“The reason we had such big names before is because we were in a ‘honeymoon year,’ where we’re sold as the new arena that everyone wants to try out,” Merchant said.

The BOKC Facebook page has posts about country artist Blake Shelton coming to the venue on December 3, but the event has since been rescheduled for early 2012.
Students can be on the lookout for event announcements on the venue’s official website, and can also follow The Bank of Kentucky Center on Twitter and Facebook.
The Bank of Kentucky Center official website: http://www.bankofkentuckycenter.com/