Art group forms to explore new media

Artists express their visions in many ways. For a brand new club on Northern Kentucky University’s campus, the New Media Collective, the tools include film, sound, installation, music and interactive art.

New media art is a relatively young program at NKU, focusing on the collaboration of technology, art, media and audience participation. Part of the club’s focus is engaging in collaborative art projects, group outings, discussions and art critiques.

The New Media Collective is about “exposing ourselves to new work and ideas and strengthening the individual and collective work of each artist in the group,” according to Jesse Byerly, a junior new media art student at NKU.

The New Media Collective is open to all students interested in exploring and discussing new media and contemporary art.

“If you are a college student interested in exploring, discussing and creating contemporary artwork that incorporates new technology and rethinks the old; then you would make a great addition to the New Media Art Collective,” Byerly said.

The club, created earlier this spring, stems from the joint efforts of Jason Gray, a senior BFA new media art student and the president of the New Media Collective, and Brad McCombs, assistant professor of new media art at Northern Kentucky University.

For Gray, the club is a way of offering students a chance to communicate with each other.

“It is important to New Media students to have a meeting place and forum, as many students are not in the same classes or doing independent studies,” he said. “This group allows these students to communicate.”

Meetings occur twice a month; the second Tuesday and fourth Thursday of the month in the Fine Arts Building. For more information about the New Media Collective club you can visit their Facebook page.

Story by Shawn Buckenmeyer