Last art show of semester opens

The last gallery show of the academic year offers a quick study break to explore natural beauty and the ways artists have manipulated it.

As the academic year comes to an end, the Northern Kentucky University Department of Visual Arts rolls out the carpet for the last show of the semester with the opening of a second round of “BFA Senior Exhibitions.”

Seven senior visual arts students, Chad Shives, Spencer Sturr, Lisa Anglin, Dean Reynolds, Katie Dube, Christopher Weir and Kenan Erdemir, will get the chance to showcase their artwork.

The types of artwork represented include ceramics, sculpture, photography, painting and interactive installation. This show is an opportunity for seniors receiving a BFA to show their best work.

Katie Dube’s exhibition, “Simple Truth Speaks Volumes,” is a massive installation piece in which an 8 x 8 room will be covered from floor to ceiling with photography, or “simple portraits.” There will be 56 prints that are approximately 24 x 24. Along with the photos, sounds of people talking and playing will provide ambient noise, creating an interactive quality to the installation piece.

For Dube, this project was about exploring her love of portrait photography and herself through photography.

“The ideas for this piece come from my roots in photography. I love portrait photography,” Dube said. “I love simple beautiful portraits; something that captures the spirit of the person in the most basic way.”

For Dube, human connections and relationships are an important aspect of her creative process.

“I create art because I really enjoy working with people. I am fascinated with the human form and all its diversities,” Dube said. “I love the textures and tones of a person’s face, and I enjoy the connections and conversations that I can draw from people when I photograph them.”

Kenan Erdemir, a ceramics major, examines the four natural elements, earth, air/wind, fire and water, in his exhibit entitled “The Elements.” The four elements will be represented by “abstracted forms, using the clay extruder and different glazes that are textural and different colors that relate to each element,” Erdemir said.

Story by Shawn Buckenmeyer