Faculty authors talk recently published books

Books celebrated at the Book Writer’s Celebration hang on the wall of the Eva G. Farris Reading Room in Steely Library. (Provided by Dr. Samantha Langley-Turnbaugh)

Every year, NKU recognizes faculty who write grant proposals seeking funding for research and projects. The event is supposed to celebrate NKU scholars for their hard work and creativity outside of the classroom, but it leaves segments of the faculty whose work does not require a grant writing out of the picture, said Dr. Samantha Langley-Turnbaugh, vice provost for graduate education, research and outreach. 

Langley-Turnbaugh decided that this year, it was time to widen the net of university-wide faculty recognition with an event that celebrates recent NKU book authors. Her office organized the first Book Writer’s Celebration in February, which will recur every year from here on out. “I think lots of times that university’s faculty members, maybe think they’re not appreciated for some of the scholarly work they do…so this was, again, just one, one new attempt to recognize them for that work,” said Langley-Turnbaugh.

She said next year will mark further expansion of faculty recognition with an event that celebrates faculty who published manuscripts and another for those who mount creative arts projects.

In this article, The Northerner spoke with four NKU authors from a range of disciplines who had books honored at this event.