Sharks on campus? NKU scuba club and wave foundation bring sharks to campus

A student touching the cat coral shark, while Wave Foundation employees explain their texture. (Eros Ritchie )

Students gathered in room 168 of the Natural Science Center for an immersive,educational experience by the Wave Foundation, Amplify NKU and the NKU Scuba Club on Friday, March 15.

The Wave Foundation, known for its mission to engage and educate students about aquatic life and conservation importance, is bringing its outreach program Wave on wheels to campus. Through initiatives like “Wave on Wheels” and “Conservation Conversations,” the foundation aims to raise awareness about critical conservation issues and inspire future environmental stewards.

Charles Acosta, a biology professor at NKU and a former board member of the Wave Foundation, expressed enthusiasm about the collaboration.”Their outreach program [Waves on Wheels] is focused on bringing attention to conservation issues around the world, and so our students will learn about important things going on in marine science,” said Acosta.

The initiative was made possible through the proactive efforts of the NKU Scuba Club. Lydia Goins, a senior and vice president of the Scuba Club, highlighted the club’s desire to create an inclusive event that would resonate with a broader audience on campus. 

She emphasized the importance of engaging college students. “We wanted to engage everyone, and I thought sharks would be a really good thing,” said Goins, underscoring the event’s appeal to diverse interests and backgrounds among college students.

The event was funded by the Amplify NKYOU grant, which provided $500 for the event as part of its commitment to promoting student physical and mental well-being. “A big thing with college students is mental health and wellness. We wanted to engage everyone, and I think having something that everyone can enjoy, like sharks, was a really good idea,” saidGoins.

Acosta noted the event’s significance in bridging the gap between classroom learning and practical engagement with marine science. 

“They went out and got funding from the wellness department… for students to get real-world experience for something you might not see in Kentucky unless you go to the aquarium,” Acosta said.

The event featured interactive exhibits, educational presentations and live animal encounters, courtesy of the Wave Foundation. Shayla Wheeldyn, a senior majoring in psychology, expressed enthusiasm for the event and highlighted its role in fostering connections within the campus community.

“Honestly, I haven’t done anything with the school up until this year, which is one of my last semesters, so it took me a while to find organizations, but I wish I took advantage of it sooner,” said Wheeldyn, reflecting on her newfound appreciation for campus events and organizations. 

Her sentiments echoed those of many attendees who saw the event as an opportunity to expand their horizons and connect with peers who shared their passion for marine conservation.