Dance ‘24 arrives at Greaves Concert Hall this weekend

A look at last year’s Dance ’23 concert. (Provided | NKU)

NKU’s annual Dance ’24 opens this weekend featuring a wide range of dance pieces  – from classical ballet to hip hop – choreographed by faculty, guest artists, students and nationally-renowned choreographers. Known for its rhythmic dance moves, live music and theatrical presentations, African dance forms are a unique dance style to see this year. 

The dance concert will feature contemporary ballet, theatrical modern and jazz by Cincinnati choreographers Shane Ohmer and Heather Britt. Classical ballet is presented by Thomas Bell, a faculty member and performer at the University of Cincinnati College–Conservatory of Music (CCM). 

Modern dance will be presented by regional choreographers Claire Dieringer and Susan Honer. Christopher Ryan, faculty member at NKU, will also be choreographing modern dance for the event.

Teresa Vandenend Sorge will be choreographing rhythmic tap, and Jeaunita Olówè will be choreographing traditional African, Afro-Fusion and African diaspora dance forms. 

Abby Clark, a sophomore at NKU, will perform Afro-fusion/African Diaspora dance in the Dance’ 24 concert. Clark mentioned how the style of dances promotes world culture.   

“I love performing African dance because it’s not just a way of dance, but an entire world of culture being brought to life. This performance represents years and centuries of song, music and dance being passed down from generation to generation,” Clark said. “I love showcasing a dance style that has survived despite history and triumphs to this day. I am so honored to be taking classes from Mama J.” 

Jeaunita Ìfẹ́wándé Château Weathersby Olówè – also known as “Mama J” by her students – lives, breathes and embodies African dance and embraces her Yorubian/Nigerian culture. 

Olówè has performed in tours across the globe. She is the proud founder of Bi-Okoto Cultural Center, which is a business established in 1994 whose mission is to preserve and share the history of Africa using dance and music arts. 

This dance season, Olówè decided to choreograph an abbreviated mixture of traditional Nigerian dances, African diaspora and Afro-fusion jazz into her piece. The piece, “Rooted,”  is about connecting to humanity through empathy for others with similar experiences. 

Olówè mentioned the importance of showcasing Afro-fusion and diaspora dances.

“Teaching Afro-fusion and diaspora dances help individuals reconnect to their roots, and brings attention to the similarities between cultures,” said Olówè. “These dances are so important culturally and help establish a sense of identity and pride.” 

The most challenging aspect of teaching African arts is having cultural bias, she said. 

“Most individuals have a preconceived notion or vision in their head about what African culture is before ever having a personal first hand experience or seeing anything real,” Olówè said.

Clark explained how important it is for others to understand the importance of dance.  

“People who say dance is irrelevant in daily life are the same people who say they don’t listen to music,” said Clark. “That’s such a sad, beige life to live. Dance is so important and it matters to so many people in this world.” 

Dance ‘24 runs Feb. 16 to Feb. 18. For more information, or to purchase tickets, click here.