Wild ‘N Out: NKU Edition

One of the contestants takes the mic during Celebrity Award Show (Kyle Ollier)

The Student Union ballroom was abuzz with conversation and music this Wednesday as students awaited the start of Wild ‘N Out.

The event was put on by the Activities Programming Board (APB) and the Black Student Union (BSU). It is an NKU spin off of the popular TV show “Wild ‘N Out,” the event’s namesake. On the show, two teams go head to head in a series of improv games and compete for points; the event kept this same format. Two teams, black and gold, consisting of six people each, emerged from a side door and began hyping up the audience as they made their way to the stage. 

The first activity of the night was “Pick up and Kill it.” Contestants engaged in a rap battle on a topic that was predetermined and displayed to the audience—some of the topics included summer, clothes and Disney.   

Norse Jeopardy followed, a game where contestants were given a prompt, then asked to provide answers that fit that respective category. “People say this before cheating on their diet” was one of the provided prompts. In response, a contestant bounced up to the mic and announced, “I deserve a little treat!”

After a few more rounds of games, the event ended with Celebrity Award Show. The teams were presented with a celebrity to imitate as they accepted an award. From Will Smith to Beyonce, the contestants took the mic doing their best impressions and gaining the final points for their team. After all the rounds concluded, the black team emerged victorious. 

Jasmine Bradley, a freshman student at NKU, had a major part in planning the event. Bradley sees this event as a way to promote the BSU as they make an effort to become more active on campus. “We all wanted to have a big event for BSU because they haven’t been very active this past year. I knew that this is something a lot of people know about, it’s a cultural thing that a lot of people watch. So I was like, ‘Yeah, let’s do Wild ‘N Out’.” 

One of the black team’s contestants, Serenity Newell-Goodwin, felt that the event went very well. She watches the show with her mother often and was excited to join for an opportunity to get more involved.

“I’m trying to find more ways to be involved on campus, and I’m already in ROCKS so I’m around the BSU a lot… so I was like, ‘I think this would be fun’ even if not a lot of people are watching. It was just fun to be a little corny and hang out with a bunch of people,” Newell-Goodwin commented.