Meet NKU’s new color guard team

NKU Color Guard practicing in the MAC Gym over winter break. (Killian Baarlaer)

Flags twirling through the air as their owners spread out across the Multi-Activity Court Gym in the Campus Rec, a holler followed by the thump of a pole meeting the floor echoed throughout the room.

This was a rehearsal for the newly banded NKU Color Guard. The organization became a registered student organization in the fall of 2023, a period they spent recruiting members and building toward their competitive season that kicks off this winter. 

Color guard is a performance art choreographed to music that intermingles dance with props like flags, mock rifles and sabres. It often uses motion and objects to express pride and interpret musical themes. The art-sport hybrid derives from the military tradition of assigning soldiers to safeguard the regiment’s flag and ensure its visibility during battle, but it evolved into an artistic and ceremonial practice outside of the military after being adopted by university marching bands. 

Blue Adams, a junior at NKU and the president of NKU Color Guard, participated in color guard in high school. They spent their first two years at university itching to participate in color guard and hoping that someone may start a team. Cecilia Schroer, a junior at NKU who spins for the team and helms the organization’s public relations efforts, also did color guard in high school. She said she felt as though she had lost a core hobby prior to the club’s inception.

Adams and Schroer were roommates during their freshman years and would occasionally spin together for fun in their free time. Adams came to the realization that if no one else planned to form a team, then they should shoulder the responsibility.

“Surely somebody had to have wanted to start a color guard at some point. And then I was like, well no one else is doing it. So I guess I will,” said Adams. 

The organization took shape last semester with weekly meetings where all skill levels – mainly ranging from novices to those who spun in high school but not much since then – were welcome to attend and spin recreationally. Much of the fall was spent raising funds and figuring out administrative questions that Adams hopes will make the organization sustainable for years to come, like opening a bank account, entering a competitive league and starting the process of becoming a sports club through the Campus Rec, explained Adams.

On the final Sunday before spring classes began, the team met in the Campus Rec to prepare for their first competition in a TriState Marching Arts league, where they’ll compete in a winter guard division designed for nascent independent groups in the region. Put simply, winter guard is the indoor version of color guard. 

They have several competitions to look forward to this semester, starting on Feb. 3 at Owen County High School and culminating with the championship contest on March 30 at NKU’s Truist Arena. 

The competitive arm of the organization includes 10 members who auditioned for a spot at the end of the fall semester. They’ll be meeting twice a week for three-hour sessions throughout the semester to polish the show that will introduce NKU Color Guard to the local competitive scene. 

The show was written by Adams, Schroer and Vice President Rachel Paxitzis. Set to Hozier’s “Swan Upon Leda,” the performance is meant to critique patriarchal power structures, using choreographed disorder to foil the peace and gracefulness that can be achieved when conflicts are resolved, explained Adams. 

Paxitzis got involved with the team in the fall after she noticed a flyer advertising the organization. Given her extensive background in performance arts, she knew she had value to add to a team still building its foundation. 

Paxitzis is far from being a newcomer when it comes to color guard. She participated in winter guard at a world class level. After she graduated high school, she spent a year competing in Winter Guard International, the premier league for winter guard in the United States, she said. She went on to coach color guard at local high schools, as well.

With her collection of experiences participating in and leading the activity, Paxitzis decided she wanted to chip in to the new program at NKU. As a non-traditional student, her age disqualifies her from being able to compete in their division, so she focuses her efforts on writing choreography and helping team members improve their technique.  

“It’s an expertise that I have that I don’t use very often, but whenever I have the opportunity to, I really like to help,” said Paxitzis. 

Some of the team members are entirely new to the sport. Schroer admitted that after two years off from organized practice, she had some rust to knock off. 

“Doing it now I was like, ‘oh my god, I lost all my skills. And it’s gonna be really rough,’” said Schroer, motioning to a bruise on her calf from a flubbed toss of the flag. 

But the inevitable hurdles that come along the learning curve are welcome among the team. 

“It’s a very open learning environment. It’s a very positive learning environment,” said Paxitzis. “Everyone is bringing their experience and sharing it.”