NKU Alumni Stephanie Rosado soars to success

From a rejection in her freshman year to Jimmy Fallon’s stage – Rosado’s journey to stardom.
Stephanie Rosado performing on tour with Nate Smith in Piketon, Ohio. (Chris Ashlee)

UPDATE– The Northerner updated this article to reflect that Rosado was born in Puerto Rico and producer Joël Bruyére contacted Rosado to do background vocals at Ocean Way.

Stephanie Rosado, a 2019 graduate from Northern Kentucky University, is a musician and vocalist born in Puerto Rico and raised in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. She initially didn’t know if she wanted to major in vocal performance or Spanish. She faced a setback in her journey after she was initially declined from the vocal performance program, being told she needed to build on her skills and experiences. After that setback, she was determined to get into the music department at NKU’s School of the Arts. 

Dr. Joy Burdette revealed that Rosado’s determination to focus and work on her skills was inspiring. 

“Even when she was declined, she was determined to get her music. It really showed how she didn’t give up,” said Burdette.

Dr. William Hogg, director of jazz studies at NKU, echoed this statement. “A few other students got denied, but Stephanie earned everything she has gotten. It was inspiring.” Rosado’s resilience in the face of the rejection became a driving force in her pursuit of musical success.

Rosado’s involvement in extracurricular activities at NKU was extensive, as she participated in voice competitions, operas, vocal jazz, choir concerts and audio production.

“I would learn self-discipline because you’re not going to always want to do something, but you have to do it,” said Rosado.  

With Rosado’s self-discipline and help from teachers, she was able to gain valuable feedback and was able to grow her classical technique. 

Burdette agreed that Rosado benefited from trying so many forms of music and added, 

“She took all the opportunities that she was given and used that to grow from — was able to explore more and develop her craft and double down on it.” 

Rosado’s post-college journey started with her internships in event management. When the COVID-19 pandemic struck shortly after she graduated, she was able to do remote sessions working on vocals, music production and virtual performances. This eventually caught the attention of Joël Bruyére, a producer for country singer Nate Smith,to Ocean Way, a studio in Nashville, for background vocals for Nate Smith. After that she was able to perform on tours and even took the stage on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.” 

Reflecting back at her time at NKU, Rosado said, “Dr. Joy Burdette taught me a lot from a classical vocal perspective, and professor Hogg and Ted Karas influenced me to explore R&B and develop my voice into that world.” 

She urges aspiring musicians to focus on skill development, self-discipline and building relationships.

Rosado shared advice for current music students. “Start building your relationship with people. Relationships are the most important thing. Keep track of people’s numbers and follow up with people,” said Rosado. “The second thing would be social media. Get your social media profile together, because a lot of people would look at your social media if they want to hire you. Showcase your talents on social media.”

Rosado’s success story serves as an inspiration for aspiring musicians at NKU. Her journey from rejection to the spotlight showcases the transformative power of determination and a passion for one’s craft. 

She continues to carve her path through the music industry where she plans on going on another tour within the next year. She also talked about how she wants to start writing and creating her own projects as well.