NKU’s True Crime Club: A trail to the truth

True Crime Club meets every Friday in Founders Hall 375 from 4-5:30 p.m.
Provided

Silence strikes the room as its shutting doors echo the darkness. Bone-chilling music plays as a screen details the story of an infamous and heinous crime case. This spooky atmosphere lies within the walls of an NKU True Crime Club’s meeting. Founded by junior Abrianna Holt, True Crime Club takes deep dives into the lawlessness of the world in the club’s name.

Holding meetings every Friday since last year’s spring semester, Holt decided that she wanted to form the club around her lifelong interest in true crime. Being a second-year law major, Holt finds passions in crime and prosecution as she works toward making it part of her career.

“One of my career goals is to be a prosecutor, so being interested in true crime helps with that,” Holt explained.

She isn’t alone in her interest. True crime is one of the most watched documentary genres on streaming platforms. WUWM.87 reports that half of Americans enjoy consuming true crime, while 13% feel it is their favorite genre. Its binge-worthy qualities are part of why viewers choose to consistently watch television. Civic Science reports, “Individuals who report watching true crime content often are also the most likely to watch six or more hours of television a day.”

This widespread interest in true crime even extends to busy students who cannot always commit to the slow-burning nature of true crime content. For club member Journey Bell, True Crime Club meetings provide a much needed break from the stress of a full schedule.

“I’m into crime and documentaries, but I don’t personally have the time outside of my busy schedule, so this is the time set aside for me to deep dive and watch,” said Bell.

Aside from the prevalent enjoyment of true crime, some people consume it to inform themselves of the lessons that real life situations teach. While member Anastasia Shamwell is not the biggest true crime fan, she attends for this very reason.

“I don’t really care for true crime, but I’m trying to see the reality of crimes that happen versus TV shows and movies,” Shamwell stated.

These potentially heavy themes are debriefed during a discussion that opens the floor to the rest of the club members. Observations about each week’s episode are revealed as each member presents new ideas about it. This time is set out for members to wrap their heads around the mind-boggling details of the case. This long-winded speculation adds to the nature of true crime—a trail to the truth.

With the undoubtful audience that true crime holds around campus, Holt has intentions to continue growing the True Crime Club. With plans for even more interactive meetings and outreach, she intends for the club to hold games and their own case-solving exercise.