SOTA Theatre and Dance goes on tour for the 2023-24 season

All of the show offerings for the 2023-2024 tour season. (Jessica Ruehl)

NKU SOTA’s Theatre and Dance department is going on tour throughout different places both on and off campus for their 2023-24 show season. 

The decision to go on tour came after long-term structural damage to the Fine Arts Center. Because of this, part of the Fine Arts Center’s first floor is closed to make substantial renovations to the building and theater venue spaces.

The tour will feature five mainstage tour stops and two additional season extras that will be performed in The Carnegie, an arts venue and professional theater in Covington, Kentucky, along with using other spaces throughout NKU’s campus. Some of the spaces that will be utilized on campus include the digitorium in Griffin Hall, Greaves Concert Hall and the Otto Budig Theatre in the University Center. 

Curious Incident of the Dog at Night-Time

The season begins at the end of this month with “Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,” a Tony-Award-winning play based on the novel with the same title written by Mark Haddon. The play, which will take place in Griffin Hall’s digitorum, tells the story of 15-year-old Christopher Boone, a gifted math genius whose curiosity leads him to try and solve the mysterious murder of his neighbor’s dog. 

“Curious Incident of the Dog at Night-Time” runs Sept. 28-Oct. 1 and Oct. 4-7 in the Griffin Hall digitorum

9 to 5: The Musical

“9 to 5,” an energetic musical based on the movie with the same title featuring Dolly Parton, is performing at The Carnegie to kick off the first musical of the season. The musical tells the story of three women who take back control of their office, get revenge on their egotistical boss and change the inside culture and environment in the office.

“9 to 5: The Musical” runs Nov. 3-5 and Nov. 8-11 at The Carnegie Theater in Covington, Kentucky.

Dance ‘24

A long-standing dance concert tradition, “Dance ‘24” is coming to Greaves Concert Hall for the first show of the spring semester, featuring traditional and contemporary dance forms. 

“Dance ‘24” runs Feb. 16-18 in Greaves Concert Hall.

Amélie 

The Tony-winning musical “Amélie” is coming to The Carnegie in the spring of 2024. The musical, based on the 2001 French film, tells the story of inquisitive, shy and reserved Amélie, who wants the best for everyone. To not be so quiet, she begins performing anonymous acts of kindness to strangers. By doing so, she finds love in herself that she didn’t know she had. 

“Amélie” runs at The Carnegie Theater from March 15-17 and March 20-23. 

The Play That Goes Wrong

The Play That Goes Wrong, written by Henry Lewis, Jonathan Sayer and Henry Shields, is the final stop on the tour. Audience members will get to experience a comedy play-within-a-play and how everything even before the opening night is going wrong. 

“The Play That Goes Wrong” runs at The Carnegie Theater from April 11-14 and April 17-20.

Season Extras for the 23-24 season include The First Year Showcase, which features freshman and transfer theatre students and runs on Oct. 21 at 7:30 p.m. The Emerging Choreographers’ Showcase features a student-produced and choreographed dance event.  

Michael Hatton, theatre and dance program head, hopes that this season will bring new opportunities for student artists.

“We’re really excited about what this means for our students and for the work that we’re going to continue to do, as well as the overall health and safety of our students, and the overall longevity of the spaces,” Hatton said. 

Hatton hopes this season will give a new learning experience by going on a tour, not only to experience new spaces but also to reach audience members in different parts of the city who haven’t been to campus. 

“It’s great for our students because they get to experience the process of a touring production, and performing in spaces other than what they are used to in our program,” Hatton said. “It’s a really phenomenal opportunity for us as a program to meet patrons and audience members that maybe never have come to campus to see one of our shows.” 

For more information about the upcoming SOTA Theatre and Dance season, visit the NKU SOTA website or call the box office at (859) 572-5464.