NKU theater continues in the summer with dinner and a show

What began as an NKU summer dinner theatre has grown into what is now known as NKU’s premiere professional theatre whose cast members include some of the most talented regional and national performers known as the Commonwealth Theatre Company.

What exactly does the Commonwealth Theatre bring to the table? Well it’s more than just dinner, light comedies mixed with a musical is what CTC serves up.

CTC will be serving up their dinner theatre this summer with one show running June 5-23 called “Nunsense,” which follows the Little Sisters of Hoboken who venture out to raise money.

The Nuns agree that the best way to raise money is to put on a variety show which proves to be more hilarious as the acts and egos grow out of control.

“Church Girls” is the second and last performance of the summer at NKU for CTC, which broke box office records three years ago and became the top grossing show for the CTC.

This year, the Umatilla Second Christian Church Women’s Auxiliary League girls are back and producing their annual Mother’s Day pageant. Things go less than smoothly for the girls and the chaos that’s created causes less than “saintly” behavior. “Church Girls” runs July 10-28.

“[The dinner theatre] makes me feel connected to school even over the summer, plus it’s a great date night,” Samantha Messmer, senior biology major, said. Her first experience with the dinner theatre was last year when she attended the performance “The Foreigner” with some friends.

“I didn’t even know NKU offered something like this on campus, it’s certainly worth going to,” Messmer said.

Tickets for the dinner theatre are on sale now at the box office. Tickets for the dinner and the show are $30 or you can purchase the two-series tickets which gives you access to both shows for $55.

Commonwealth Theatre Company schedule:

“Nunsense” — June 5-23.

“Church Girls” —  July 10-28.

Showtimes:

Tuesday-Saturday, dinner in the Corbett Theatre lobby at 6:30 p.m./show in the Stauss Theatre at 8 p.m.

Sunday, dinner in the Corbett Theatre lobby at 5 p.m./show in the Stauss Theatre at 6:30 p.m.