Puppies coming to ease the stress of finals week

Imagine a dog licking your face and sitting in your lap with their fur touching your skin while escaping the stress of exam week.

During finals week, the English Department will be setting up a puppy and dog shelter outside Landrum Hall with a variety of puppies present.

The shelter is going to be set up on the lawn between the Baptist Student Center and Landrum Hall, said Larry Blake, assistant vice president of Facilities Management.

The idea for the shelter came from an article that English professor Kelly Moffett read online about Dalhousie University in Canada creating its own puppy room during its finals week last semester.

“This semester, I saw how stressed students are and I said what a wonderful thing it would be if we could have it here,” Moffett said.

There are many advantages that go along with being around puppies.

“We care about the development and the health of the whole person,” Moffett said. “We really want to show how much we care about our students.”

Moffett even found information on the Harvard Health Blog that talked about studies since the 1980s that have shown the major health benefits of dogs.

“Pets have been shown to lower blood pressure, improve recovery from heart disease and even reduce rates of asthma and allergies in children who grew up with dogs,” Moffett said.

The blog also said that pets improve a person’s self-esteem and psychological well-being.

“Spending time with animals also tends to help us stay in the present moment, which is another way of saying that we are more clear-headed and focused,” Claire Dean, psychologist at NKU, said.