Celebration closes with senior art exhibit opening

All of this week, students have been proudly showing off their work to members of the university community with NKU’s Celebration of Student Research and Creativity. The senior art exhibit on Friday was one of the last events of the week.

Graduating seniors in the fine arts department got to show off their visual art work in the main gallery on the third floor of the Fine Arts Center.

“In general, it’s amazing how much talent we have in our students,” said Melanie Hartzel, coordinator of community connections. “You feel like you’re in a famous art gallery somewhere.”

One of the art series, entitled “Illuminations,” is a series of science-themed pieces, drawn in the style of ancient biblical manuscripts. In her artist’s statement, Amanda Ross wrote about the monks of old, and their hours spent copying bible verses by hand, and creating works of art.

Ross writes:

“In my paintings, I create small pieces, similar to the pages of books, which are stylistically analogous to medieval manuscripts. I chose to illustrate these pages with themes pertaining to science. Like manuscripts spread knowledge and art in the middle ages, in our modern era, science acts in a similar manner, constantly making discoveries that illuminate the unkown and spread that knowledge throughout the world.”

“I like how they incorporate history, but then you see the science behind it all,” Hartzel said. “It looks like ancient scrolls…. It’s a nice mix of ancient times and the science that’s popular today.”

“Our students are going to go far,” Hartzel continued. “It makes me wonder what our students are going to do after graduation. Obviously, though, they’re talented.”

The exhibition will continue until April 26 in the main and third floor galleries of the Fine Arts Building. The galleries are open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.