Paint Wars return

University Housing hosted a paint war that pitted residents of  Callahan Hall, Kentucky/Commonwealth Hall, Norse Hall, University Suites and Woodcrest Apartments against each other.

On April 8, about 20 to 25 students participated in the second annual Paint Wars. University Suites took home the title for the second year by making their red paint the most prominent color out of any other team.

There were buckets of different colored paint that were set up in a field between the log cabin and the Honors House on campus. After each student grabbed a sponge, they were assigned to a team based on where they live on campus.

Woodcrest Apartments was yellow, Norse Hall was green, Kentucky and Commonwealth Hall were blue, Callahan Hall was orange and University Suites was red.

The war lasted for two hours and during that time, each team worked to make its house color the most visible. The amount of color on other teams was the deciding factor in who won the war.

There was a lot of preparation that went into creating the event. “We had a great group of RA’s pulling their weight and they have done a great job,” said Emily Ries, resident assistant and communication studies major. “It was all teamwork and Sara [Daugherty, president of Norse Force]’s leadership that made it so much fun.”

The Association of Campus Residents donated money to help the resident assistants pay for sponges, paint, bins for the paint, etc.

“Since I am a member of ACR and ACR donated a big chunk of money for the [event], I wanted to show my involvement with the program,” said Joel Wilson, geography major. “I wore the same clothes from it last year as I did this year.”

Wilson, who lives in Norse Hall, got to be on the green team. “My favorite part was getting to pour the tub of green paint all over people at the end of the war.”