Guest speaker to share real-life experience

Caitlin Centner, Staff Writer

Northern Kentucky University’s Activities Programming Board presents Sex, Drugs, Alcohol & Everything in Between The TRU College Life hosted by 24-year-old Julia Garcia on Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.

Garcia travels to colleges across the country sharing her personal college experience. According to the Contemporary Issues Agency website, she graduated from the New York Institute of Technology where she wrote for her school newspaper, reported for the school news station, was president of the Women’s Association and was an athlete on the soccer team. Among her accomplishments, there were still struggles.

Griffin Frank, junior electronic media and broadcasting major and a general member of APB said, “The 24-year-old travels to universities and talks about her real-life college experience and part of that experience was she was a party girl.”

Frank went on to say, “She was sexually assaulted, her best friend died and she also talks about the night that almost took her entire college experience away.”
Junior public relations major and president of APB, Tina Hoesl, said the event will consist of a lecture-style presentation where Garcia will allow a lot of interaction and questions from attendees.

Hoesl explained that she has tried not to watch a ton of Garcia’s videos so that she, too, can enjoy the program as a first-time viewer.
“At some point everyone in their college experience would be dealing with one of these things,” Hoesl said referring to sex, drugs and alcohol. “For me personally it will help me to share her story among peers.”

“These are real topics we all can relate to,” Frank said, reinforcing his point that, “Everyone here knows someone that has sex, that does drugs or that drinks alcohol, be it themselves or a friend.”

The event will provide an insider’s perspective on college life, a point in life that NKU students are experiencing now.
Activities Programming Board said, “Through her fearless and highly engaging approach, she takes you on an unforgettable journey through the reality that comes flooding in like a bad hangover, after the partying, fun and hookups are over.”

Joey Cunningham, senior organizational leadership major, is looking forward to the event.

“I’m excited for the event because it’s going to show a unique perspective and give students a more personal story to shed light on a topic that is not easily discussed among students and faculty,” Cunningham said. He believes the topics discussed during Garcia’s program should be focused on more heavily throughout the college experience.
“We are trying to educate students on the dangers of these types of situations as well as educate them on how to help themselves and others,” Cunningham said.
Hoesl said Garcia has received good reviews from the campuses she has already visited. You can visit www.ciaspeakers.com for more information on Garcia and her message.

• Guest speaker to share real-life experience

First-years showcased in ‘The Secret in the Wings’

Henry theatre brings the time warp back again

Norse-o-ween through campus

Favorite Halloween traditions have dark origins

Rapper Nelly postpones BB&T concert

REVIEW: No “Bad Times” found at El Royale

Documentary examines race in America then and now

Northerner earns three national Pinnacle Awards

Habitat hopes to impact lives

Planetarium’s ‘Dying with the Stars’ shows how spooky space can be