Bouncing Boobapalooza

Boobapalooza bounced through campus last week bringing awareness about breast cancer. Colleges Against Cancer held its first annual awareness event to raise money for Relay For Life, where they also handed out pink ribbons, pamphlets and ways to fight back against the disease.

“We are partnering with Relay For Life,” said Katie Marx, member of Colleges Against Cancer. “We wanted it to be more than one event, so we set up the Boobapalooza. This is our first year doing this, and so far it is turning out well.”

Colorful and uniquely decorated bras were on display for students to view. They were urged to vote for the bra they found most inspiring and interesting by donating money for their favorite. Together, they gathered over $100 from the small part of the event. Students were able to learn about Relay For Life and sign up for a team to begin fundraising for the event in April.

“We have had a really good turnout thus far,” Marx said. The organization met for only two hours each day; but on the first day alone, they had made $45. The money will go to help fund more cancer awareness events.

Each month, Colleges Against Cancer focuses on a specific type of cancer. In October, the group focused on breast cancer. Lung cancer is the cancer topic for November, bringing awareness to the cancer along with tips to help people stop smoking. On Nov. 17, Colleges Against Cancer will also be a part of Paint the Campus Purple, which will be designed to make people aware of the effects of cancer and to recruit students to participate in Relay for Life.

This year’s Relay For Life will be held at 6 p.m. April 13. For more information about Relay For Life, visit relayforlife.org/NKU or email Katie Marx at marxk1@nku.edu.