Megan Bechtold

Buried Child, Mamma Mia! moved to next year

The shows were previously canceled by SOTA faculty

April 3, 2020

The School of the Arts announced Friday that the previously canceled mainstage productions “Buried Child” and “Mamma Mia!” will now be performed next school year.

“Mamma Mia!” was scheduled to run April 24 to May 3 of this semester, but will now take the place of “9 to 5: The Musical” and run Feb. 19-28, 2021. Our write-up said that Director Ken Jones had “plans to make SOTA’s performance [of the play] especially unique.”

RELATED: “Mamma Mia!” comes to NKU’s Corbett Theatre

Meanwhile, a modified staged reading of “Buried Child” will be performed for free to everyone as a welcome back event on August 21, 2020. “Buried Child” was set to open March 26 and run until April 5. Our coverage called the Pulitzer Prize winning play that reflects on the death of the American Dream the “oddest play of the season.”

RELATED: SOTA’s ‘Buried Child’ reflects on death of American life

Tickets for “Mamma Mia!” can be reserved through SOTA’s box office starting August 3. Updated 2020-2021 SOTA season info will be shared later in the summer.

For the remainder of the current semester, SOTA students and faculty have been creating a new video series entitled “SOTA Stream” showcasing the department’s talent.

RELATED: SOTA Stream keeps the music flowing despite campus closure

It is available to view for free on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram now. For more information, visit nku.edu/sotastream.

The Northerner is currently investigating the impact of the switch to online learning, including but not limited to how housing, dining, student workers, labs, studios and the office of Health, Counseling and Student Wellness will be affected. For any questions you’d like to know about the decision, contact us anytime on Twitter or Instagram. For questions or concerns about how the virus could potentially affect campus, contact us or email covid19@nku.edu. Keep checking The Northerner for all updates on NKU’s switch to alternative instruction.