NKU women’s basketball season ends due to last second basket

The 2019-20 team is the first in NKU DI history to achieve a 20-win season.

March 9, 2020

Colin Johnson

Women’s Basketball Head Coach Camryn Whitaker exits the arena following the 49-50 loss to Green bay in the Semi-Final game of the Horizon League Tournament.

NKU women’s basketball team put on a show at Indiana Farmers Coliseum Monday afternoon. The Norse end their season 20-12 after falling to the Green Bay Phoenix 50-49 in the Horizon League semifinals. This seasons series against the Phoenix ending 1-2.

Sophomore point guard Ally Niece led the Norse in their last stand with 20 points. Redshirt senior guard Molly Glick finished her last game with 11 points and two rebounds.

The game started off slow paced, Glick opening up the game with a 3-point basket. The Norse continued to remain in the lead, both teams playing physical defense. With not much luck scoring for either team the quarter ended with NKU up 11-9. The second quarter started with a Green Bay 3-pointer to put them up freshman guard Ivy Turner answers back with a 3-pointer. The teams then have a series of ties, 14-14, 17-17 then Green Bay pulled ahead ending the last two minutes of the quarter a 7-0 run. The Norse end the half down 28-19.

For the half NKU shot 36.4 percent from the field and 28.6 percent from the 3-point line, shooting 4-of-14 from behind the arc.

After the half Glick opens the game up once again with a 3-pointer, the Norse begin closing the gap with a layup in the paint from sophomore point guard Taylor Clos, followed by a Niece post move in the paint. Green Bay pulls away again, ending the quarter up six, 31-37. The Phoenix start the fourth quarter on a roll, pushing the deficit out to 10 points for NKU.

Once the game clock boiled down to four minutes the Norse began their 11-0 run, with a free throw from Niece NKU was up 47-46. With 0.10 seconds left and NKU down 48-47, NKU inbounded the ball to Turner, who brought the ball down the court and scored off a floater with 0.06 left. Green Bay called a timeout to regroup and out of the timeout and Green Bay layed it in with 0.03. Turner tries again from half-court but to no avail, the shot misses. Green Bay takes home the win, 50-49.

Despite the loss in the Horizon League some records were made for the Norse. This season being the teams first 20-win season during the Divsion I era. Glick finishing her career with 1,262 points tying for 18th all time, and finishing third in program history for scoring 210 3-point baskets.

This game coverage will be updated. Never miss an update: follow @northernersport on twitter.