The+decomposed+human+remains+found+behind+the+NKU+soccer+stadium+were+identified.+

The decomposed human remains found behind the NKU soccer stadium were identified.

BREAKING: Decomposed human remains found on campus have been identified

March 30, 2023

The decomposed human remains found in the wooded area behind the NKU soccer stadium on Sunday March 12, 2023 were identified by the Campbell County Coroner as Gary Randall, according to a statement from NKU officials Thursday morning.

According to the statement from the university, Randall was not a student or affiliated with the university in any way. It also has been said that there was no foul play involved, and a cause of death for Randall has not yet been determined. 

In a March 13 statement from the university, law enforcement officials and investigators believed the remains had potentially been at the site for several years. At that time, they also suspected it could take several months for the remains to be identified. As of Thursday morning, 18 days passed between the official discovery and public identification of the remains.

There is no current or active threat against the university at this time, according to a statement released by Vice President of Student Affairs Eddie Howard. 

“We want to reassure our students, faculty and staff that Northern Kentucky University is a safe, secure campus. This case was an isolated incident and at no point was anyone on our campus in any danger. We are grateful to Chief Gaffin, the entire NKU Police Department, the Campbell County Coroner’s Office and the Campbell County Special Incident Response Team for their tireless efforts to bring this case to a close. We send our condolences and hope this brings closure to the family of Mr. Randall,” Howard said in a press release from the university. 

The Northerner will continue to provide updates on this breaking news story as more information is gathered.