The Independent Student Newspaper of Northern Kentucky University.

Emily Sisk

The scene is still currently being investigated in the wooded area behind Truist Arena, shutting down Lot O.

UPDATE: Decomposed human remains found behind NKU soccer stadium

March 12, 2023

Decomposed human remains were found in a wooded area behind the NKU soccer stadium this afternoon, according to a campus-wide email sent out by university communications.

At 12:28 p.m. on Sunday, the NKU Police Department received a call from a bystander who was on campus for soccer activities notifying them of the remains near the stadium, according to a statement from the university. 

The NKUPD detective on site contacted the Campbell County Special Incident Response Team approximately an hour later at 1:22 p.m. to assist in processing the scene. The coroner arrived at 2:50 p.m. 

NKU’s statement noted the initial investigation did not suggest any foul play, and there is no active threat to campus. 

When The Northerner arrived at the scene at approximately 5 p.m., Lot O remained open for parking and two NKU Police Department vehicles were present near the back wooded area. The remains appeared to be covered by a white sheet and had been placed on a stretcher. 

Approximately 10 minutes later, an unmarked gray van arrived at the scene and officials began loading the suspected remains into the vehicle.

University officials are urging those attending the NCAA watch party Sunday night to park in the Welcome Center garage instead of Lot O, as the scene is currently being investigated by the NKU Police Department, Highland Heights Police Department, Campbell County Special Incident Response Team and the coroner.

Monday afternoon, NKU officials gave an update on the remains, speculating that they may have been at the site for several years. 

“The investigation into the discovery of human remains on NKU’s campus yesterday is ongoing and could be lengthy. The university understands from law enforcement that the remains have potentially been at this site for several years. The remains are currently with the Coroner’s office and will be transferred to the Kentucky Medical Examiner’s Office for identification, a process that investigators believe could take several months,” an NKU spokesperson said. 

The Northerner will continue to provide updates on this developing story as we learn more.

The Northerner • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in