Sam Rosenstiel

Police report sexual assault in Callahan Hall

December 1, 2019

University Police released a timely warning Sunday afternoon stating a sexual assault occurred in Callahan Hall, on Nov. 30 around 9:00 p.m.

According to the release, University Police received an anonymous report that stated the victim met the suspect through a dating app and had been communicating with the suspect via Snapchat for about two weeks. They decided to meet on Nov. 30 in the victim’s dorm room where the assault occurred. When the victim threatened to scream, the suspect left.

The Northerner has previously reported on safety and awareness while dating in the digital age

Read the full NKU Police statement below:  

Offense Classification: Sexual Assault

Location: Callahan Hall

Date and Time of Offense: 11/30/2019 around 9:00 p.m.

Suspect Description: White male, orange hair, approximately 30s, stocky build.

On 12/01/2019 at approximately 7:15 a.m., University Police received an anonymous report of a sexual assault that occurred at Callahan Hall. The report states that the victim met the suspect through a dating app and had been communicating with the suspect via Snapchat for about two weeks. They decided to meet on 11/30/2019 in the victim’s dorm room where the assault occurred. When the victim threatened to scream, the suspect left.

Community members are encouraged to be vigilant in reporting any suspicious activity and to report such activity to University Police immediately. Anyone who may have information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact University Police at 859-572-5500.

Sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. While nothing is failsafe, here are some suggestions everyone may want to consider (Note: the following information is general in nature and does not relate to any specific incident):

• Bystanders can often prevent sexual assaults by safely intervening; the level of intervention must be specific to the bystander’s skill, experience, and safety. If you think someone is at risk for sexual assault, get involved by checking in and getting help if needed. It’s on all of us to keep campus safe. Visit https://inside.nku.edu/nvp.html for more information on Bystander Intervention training.
  • If you are ever in a situation on campus where you are unsure or scared, get to a safe place and call University Police immediately at 859- 572-7777 or 9-1-1.
  • If someone you know is a victim of sexual assault: Listen, support, and suggest options.
  • Make sure you have consent. Always seek verbal, sober, and clear consent before a sexual act. Immediately stop sexual advances if the other person indicates no interest or if they say “no.”
  • If you’re not sure that you’re getting a clear, enthusiastic “yes” from your partner, it is your responsibility to ask.
  • Unreasonably pressuring or coercing someone into engaging in sexual activity is sexual assault. If you’ve been sexually assaulted, tell someone – there are resources available to help you. Please visit https://inside.nku.edu/nvp/support.html for more information.