Viewpoints: The Wombats light up the OVATION stage with Clubhouse

PromoWest Pavilion at OVATION is back to entertain NKU students with The Wombats. This new venue is a place students must go for any kind of concert they seek. With the last concert being an American jam band, it is no surprise that this TikTok trending band was next to hit the stage. 

English indie rock band, better known as The Wombats, took the stage at PromoWest Pavilion at OVATION on Saturday evening, ending their first full week of their North American tour. 

After over two years of canceled shows and postponing due the pandemic, The Wombats took the American stage with their charming personalities and eclectic songs. And lucky for Kentucky, we were stop number seven. 

The Wombats, consisting of band members: Matthew Murphy (lead vocals), Tord Øverland Knudsen (bass guitar), and Dan Haggis (drums) have been a band for almost two decades. Since the band formed in 2003, these Liverpool locals have released over 5 albums, traveled the world, and sold-out hundreds of shows along the way.  

With their biggest hits “Kill the Director” released in 2007 and later “Greek Tragedy” in 2015, they have become one of England’s most successful and longest running bands.

This tour, The Wombats are joined by Clubhouse, a young up and coming alternative band from Columbus, Ohio. Formed in 2015, these five guys have been making music and touring with artists such as Adam Melchor and now The Wombats.

Touring has skyrocketed their monthly listeners and expanded their fanbase beyond Ohio. Their stage presence and upbeat music had the crowd dancing along throughout their set. 

After a warm welcome from Clubhouse, The Wombats took the stage at 9:03pm. Opening up with a song from their new album, Fix Yourself, Not the World, they had fans waving their arms and singing along from the start. This hour and a half set included a variety of songs from each album. From old and new, upbeat to mellow, and loud to quiet songs. To no surprise, “Kill the Director” was a crowd favorite and had everyone on their feet by the end of it. 

The Wombats left everything on the table during their performance and did not disappoint. Fans were sad to see them go after the encore but left with big smiles and loads of memories. 

Upcoming concerts at OVATION include Russel Dickerson on Feb. 5, and The War on Drugs on Feb. 6. These shows are great opportunities for students and music centered organizations on campus to attend and enjoy a night out. 

If you are interested in future shows taking place at OVATION, check out their website or follow them on social media @ovationpavilion