Provided by the Office of Student Engagement

Second from the left, coordinator for student engagement A.J. Miller.

From the perspective of A.J. Miller

Coordinator for Student Engagement A.J. Miller wrote about how the office transitioned to online

Spring Break is typically a time of renewal. For students, it’s an opportunity to take a break from classes, maybe explore a new city or even pick up some extra shifts at work. For Faculty/Staff it’s a week to get caught up and hopefully maybe even get ahead. This year, Spring Break is associated with when our world turned upside down as the reality of the new normal of COVID-19 began to take hold.

Fast forwarding a few weeks, and I have truly started to understand the impact of this virus. This virus is real, and has not only impacted the physical health and life of so many but the mental and emotional health as well. Typically the past two weeks are filled with a myriad of celebrations and emotions. The Office of Student Engagement along with the entire Division of Student Affairs works hard to recognize and celebrate the amazing accomplishments of our students, culminating with commencement. While we’ve had to find new ways to recognize these students, I am not naïve to the giant-sized hole that has been left from missing out on these face-to-face events, especially for our Seniors. 

Yet, despite all that has happened, we as a Norse Community are continuing to stand strong as we weather this new challenge. As a proud Norse Alum and now staff member, I am not surprised with the resiliency and tenacity our university community has shown during this time. “How can I help?” has been a constant, yet-heartfelt exchange. Our community has been a true family in working to make sure we all come through this together. 

So as we wait for our leaders and community experts to determine the right time for us to return back to campus, I challenge our community. I challenge you to use this time to be more intentional than ever. Intentional with your own health (physically, mentally, emotionally). Intentional with your relationships. Intentional with your kindness.  And know that while we might all be apart, the faculty and staff at Northern Kentucky University are still here to support you and are only a Zoom call away.