Vinson and Warrick take home Horizon League awards

Emory Davis

NKU guard Sam Vinson takes a shot against Purdue Fort Wayne.

The Horizon League released its end of season awards for men’s basketball on Monday afternoon, and two members of the Norse took home individual awards.

Freshman guard Sam Vinson was named the 2021-22 Horizon League Freshman of the Year, while sophomore guard Marques Warrick was named to the All-Horizon League Second Team. 

Vinson is the second Norse player to take home Horizon League Freshman of the Year in as many seasons, after Warrick won the award last season. A seven-time recipient of the Freshman of the Week award, Vinson was second on the Norse with 11.8 points per game, scoring in double figures 19 times. Vinson also averaged 4.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game.

Vinson also proved to be elite on the defensive end in his first season, ranking third in the Horizon League in steals per game and 21st nationally with 59 total steals. Vinson was also named to the All-Freshman Team.

Warrick led the Norse in scoring during the regular season with 16.0 points per game, while also adding 2.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. This season, Warrick has set new single-game career highs in rebounds, steals, three-pointers made and free-throws made. 

Warrick scored in double figures in 23 of his 29 games in the regular season, setting his career-high of 30 points twice against Canisius on Dec. 8 and Robert Morris on Feb. 24.

The Norse will be in action on Thursday in the quarterfinals of the 2022 Keeps Horizon League Tournament. NKU will play the second-highest remaining team following Tuesday’s first round games.