Dantez Walton (32) shoots during the final game of the Horizon League Tournament against Wright State. Walton shot 5-of-11 on the night and had 15 points.

Big changes are coming to 2019-20 Basketball Season

3-point line, shot clock and technical fouls to be changed in the upcoming season.

The NKU men’s basketball team not only has a new look to them this upcoming season, but new rules, according to NCAA.

International 3-point line

Starting in the 2019-20 season, the Division I men’s college basketball 3-point line will be extended to the international distance of 22 feet and 1 and 3/4 inches. The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved moving the 3-point line after the men’s Basketball Rules Committee members received positive feedback. 

The feedback was from the annual rules survey of the coaches who participated in the 2018 and 2019 National Invitation Tournament (NIT). During the tournament, the international 3-point distance was used as an experimental basis.

“It’s not too big of a difference,” senior guard Jalen Tate said. “It comes with the reps, it’s a little getting used to. Sometimes you’re stepping on the line in the corners, you have to keep from stepping out of bounds, but for the most part, it comes with the reps you put in every single day.” 

The committee cited these rationales for extending the line:

• Making the lane more available for dribble/drive plays from the perimeter.
  • Slowing the trend of the 3-point shot becoming too prevalent in men’s college basketball by making the shot a bit more challenging, while at the same time keeping the shot an integral part of the game.
  • Assisting in offensive spacing by requiring the defense to cover more of the court

Due to the financial impact of placing a new 3-point line on courts, this change won’t take effect in Divisions II and III until the 2020-21 season.

Shot clock reset

The panel also approved resetting the shot clock at 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in front court. The change is being made to enhance the pace of the game. The committee decided against a full 30-second shot clock reset because the offensive team is already in the front court after securing the rebound.

This was another experimental rule during the 2019 NIT.

Other proposals

The panel approved the proposal where players will be given a technical foul should they use “derogatory language about an opponent’s race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.”

Coaches now have the ability to call live-ball timeouts in the last two minutes of the second half and the last two minutes of any overtime periods. Previously coaches weren’t allowed to call any live-ball timeouts during the game.

Also, in the last two minutes of the second half or the last two minutes of any overtime, instant replay review can be conducted if a basket interference or goaltending call has been made.