Late goal causes NKU to fall against Butler

August 30, 2019

NKU women’s soccer team lost their second home game of the regular season 1-2 against the Butler University Bulldogs—who are ranked nationally in the top 25. The Norse continue the season 2-1, while the Bulldogs advance 3-0.

The first real damage for NKU came into play at the 4 minute mark, but sophomore transfer goalkeeper Mimi Stines protected the goal. Butler’s defense was good and gave NKU little space to structure their plan and find a path to the goal. However, 15 minutes into action, junior midfielder/forward Kailey Ivins had the opportunity to score, but it went too far over the goal.

“Coach was really happy with how we played tonight. Butler is one of the best teams in the conference. One of the top 25 teams, probably one of the best teams we’ll play this year. We are really happy with the way we performed tonight,” Stines said.

It was a strong first half for NKU and Butler. However, both teams finished the first half scoreless. Each team had the opportunity to score from one corner kick and four fouls were given to each team.

In the 48th minute, freshman defender Chloe Mills scored her first goal with an assist from senior midfielder Hannah Fischer.

Stines had a big save at the 80-minute mark. However, Butler took the lead in the 85th minute with a goal that sealed the deal for the second Norse loss of the season.

“All we cared about was how good we were going to do and not how good Butler was going to play,” said Mills.

NKU has the chance to continue growing as a team, with their next game taking place on Sunday, Sept. 1 against Murray State at home. The game begins at 1 p.m., and will be broadcasted on ESPN+.