What you missed at SGA: New senators and technical insights

September 12, 2022

The Student Government Association swore in five freshman senators and three upperclassman senators at Monday’s meeting, bringing the quorum down to 13 open seats. The meeting also brought technical insights into the roles and perks of SGA, in addition to discussing upcoming events and activities.

Five freshman senators were sworn in following roll call and approval of the previous meeting’s minutes. They pledged to serve on SGA to represent the student body’s interests with respect to the Board of Regents, university administration and other governing bodies for the benefit of Northern Kentucky University.

Three upperclassman senators were given the floor to answer Senator Silverent Balcaitis’ question of what they would bring to SGA. After a round of discussion, SGA approved all three senators as a slate with no opposition and no abstention.

The new senators are to be assigned to committees, each with one justice. Chief Justice Luke Price explained that senators focus on advocating for the student body and presenting matters of import to SGA, while justices ensure that every piece of legislation is in accordance with the SGA constitution and the United States constitution, and not in violation of any rules.

With the arrival of eight senators, SGA now has a minimum of 13 seats to fill. President Daniel Myers encouraged everyone present to continually recruit new members to SGA.

“Recruiting falls on all of us,” Myers said. “So I need all of you to get out there, talk to people, let people know about SGA.” Until they can recruit more members, SGA is at a standstill in terms of what the organization can do, he added.

Outside of recruitment, SGA members reported on ongoing and upcoming events at NKU, including a partnership with Steely Library to acquire more diverse books, the campus climate survey, the student account installment plans introduced this semester, the Board of Regents meeting on Sept. 14 and Big Pink Volleyball on Oct. 11.

Justice Olive Pfalz updated on an ASL minor that has been approved by the Education Department and is set to receive an official vote.