NKU to hold benefit concert for Ukrainian refugees

April 19, 2022

Lisa Mazzucco

The Shelest Piano Duo of Anna and Dmitri will be performing at NKU’s benefit concert for Ukrainian refugees.

Northern Kentucky University will hold a benefit concert for Ukrainian refugees in the Northern Kentucky-Greater Cincinnati region April 22 in Greaves Concert Hall. Ukrainian alumni Anna Shelest and Dmitri Shelest will perform select works by Ukrainian and American composers, accompanied by School of the Arts string musicians and the NKU Chamber Choir.

A native of Kharkiv, Anna has been performing as a solo pianist with renowned orchestras such as Montreal Symphony, Cincinnati Symphony, St. Petersburg Philharmonic and Estonian National Symphony, according to her website. She also performs with her husband Dmitri as the Shelest Piano Duo. Her CD recordings feature the works of Anton Rubinstein, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Franz Liszt, along with composers from her homeland.

All ticket sales will go directly to refugee relief efforts via RefugeeConnect and Kentucky Refugee Ministries.

“Our hearts continue to be with the people of Ukraine through this tragic time,” President Ashish Vaidya said in an email release. “NKU is fortunate to have such incredibly talented alums in Anna and Dimitri. Hosting the concert with their help allows us to support two excellent organizations aimed at welcoming Ukrainian refugees in our community.”

To learn more about the concert and purchase tickets, click here.