NKU makes masking optional on campus beginning March 8, with select exceptions

March 3, 2022

Emory Davis

Inside of the Health Innovation Center on NKU’s campus.

President Ashish Vaidya announced in an email Thursday morning that masking will be optional at Northern Kentucky University beginning March 8, with a few exceptions.

According to the email, masking will still be required in four instances: during class meetings in classrooms and lab spaces through March 21; in Health, Counseling and Student Wellness facilities; for at least five days following diagnosis of or exposure to COVID-19; and as required by individual employees when they meet with students, visitors and other employees in their private offices.

Masking in BB&T Arena is also optional immediately upon the announcement. In addition, advance approval will no longer be required for events held on campus, including those with off-campus attendees.

NKU changed its masking policy in view of declining case counts in the region and after consulting with the COVID Preparedness Team, the email states. This is part of a broader response to the trajectory of the coronavirus, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention modified its guidelines on masking and as Kentucky governor Andy Beshear lifted mask mandates for state employees on Feb. 28.

“We know that not everyone will agree with this change. We are doing what we have done since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are following the science and the guidance of our public health experts. And we will continue to do so going forward, adapting our mitigation efforts as the ebb and flow of COVID-19 cases warrants,” Vaidya states in the email.

NKU will make an announcement in the week after Spring Break about any potential changes to the masking policy, which are effective as of March 21. Mitigations will be added upon evidence of a new variant or significant surge in cases, the email states.