FUEL NKU hosts a Friendsgiving Feast for the NKU community

The event took place on Monday in the SU Ballroom

November 24, 2021

Provided by Aliya Cannon

NKU students pose for a picture during FUEL NKU’s Friendsgiving Feast.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, Fuel NKU hosted its fourth annual Friendsgiving Feast. From sliced turkey to delectable pumpkin pie, this Thanksgiving event made the season even brighter. 

“We wanted to provide a type of resource or community event that everyone could attend, bring friends and meet new people. This gives an opportunity to share a nice Thanksgiving meal and enjoy the night together,” Nick Bliven, Fuel NKU Program Coordinator said.

This past Monday, Nov 22, Fuel NKU brought in the Thanksgiving Holidays with games, fun and food. Cosponsored by Kroger, Busken, Pepsi and Chartwells, Fuel NKU provided Thanksgiving meals for the campus community. 

The Friendsgiving Feast was hosted in the SU Ballroom from 5:30 – 8:00 p.m. and guests got a chance to endure a Covid friendly experience while enjoying a flavorful Thanksgiving dinner. The Thanksgiving meals featured sliced turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, traditional casserole, pie and so much more. 

“This event was important and needed for everyone. With Covid going on, there were a lot of individuals cautious about going home due to not wanting to get family members sick. It was nice to still enjoy that Thanksgiving tradition and make a new tradition and feel connected,” Megan Bradford, Fuel NKU Americorp Vista said. 

With the Friendsgiving Feast being a couple days away from the Thanksgiving break for the NKU community, Fuel NKU gave out takeout meals during the event to students to utilize for the holidays.

“We are offering to-go meals which are bags full of groceries. Since we are going into a break and some students would still like to use our services and we wanted to provide them with different items,” Bliven said. 

The staff of Fuel NKU encouraged everyone to come out to this event to not only enjoy a good meal but guests also got to engage in holiday activities like a photo booth. Included with the photo booth were Thanksgiving signs that stated different fun sayings like “blessed, feast, thankful and I’m with turkey.” 

“During this event, I was extremely excited about seeing the Thanksgiving crafts come together. I have been testing out different crafts at home with my family members to brainstorm and get crafts ready for this event,” Bradford said. 

The event featured music selections from the NKU SOTA Music Program and clothing donations from The NKU CARE closet.  

“My favorite part about the Friendsgiving feast is that after planning and seeing everything unfold. I got to see all the ideas come to life and everyone working together,” Bliven said.

“I have gotten the opportunity to help with the Friendsgiving Feast the previous year also and so my favorite part about this event was seeing the reactions of the students and the guests that we serve. The expression of excitement and gratefulness has always been dear to my heart,” Kelly Pritcher, Fuel NKU student assistant said.