NKU develops COVID-19 Decision Indicators, event updates and more

Northern Kentucky counties have reached the red zone again due to the high number of positive COVID-19 cases

August 26, 2021

An email from the Office of the Provost sent out Thursday morning states that Kentucky just logged one of the worst days for positive COVID-19 cases as the Delta variant becomes more prevalent throughout the Commonwealth.

Every county in Kentucky is in the red zone for the number of COVID-19 cases. A red zone county is determined by 25 or more positive cases per 100,000 people.

Northern Kentucky University has developed COVID-19 Decision Indicators that use “evidence-based criteria from health officials” as stated by the email.

The indicators are color-coded and show community transmission levels ranked from blue (low) to purple (high). NKU is currently at yellow level. 

Please keep in mind these indicators may shift with our understanding of the variants. President Vaidya also monitors the campus and regional trends and will make decisions to keep our campus safe and healthy. The COVID-19 Preparedness Team is meeting regularly and will share NKU’s level each week in these updates,” the email states.

Questions about NKU’s COVID-19 Decision Indicators can be sent via email to covid19@nku.edu.

The rise of positive cases has also put a pause on outside access to campus events.

“University Events Committee will be reviewing events on campus and will inform people if any modifications need to happen. Events involving external audiences must submit an online form 10 days prior to the date in addition to the room reservation request. Gatherings that are exclusively for NKU students, faculty and staff do not require an online form or approval,” the email states.

Questions regarding event space can be sent to space@nku.edu.

The email encourages vaccination in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19 and the Delta variant throughout the NKU community.

To receive a free FDA approved Pfizer vaccine from the Health, Counseling and Student Wellness Center, call (859) 572-5650 or email hcsw@nku.edu

The email also encourages everyone to share their vaccination status with the university, which is confidential and helps inform COVID-19 Decision Indicators to provide more accuracy on the campus dashboard. 

“When you load the information on your COVID-19 vaccine to myNKU, you also enter NKU’s vaccination incentives contest. All students, faculty and staff who share their vaccination status are eligible to win 1,000 prize drawings for $100 each, followed by a week of grand-prize drawings,” the email states.

The email ends stating that NKU is working with the best interest of the campus community in mind.

“We have navigated these waters before and have plans in place if we need to pivot. This is not new to any of us, and we know how resilient and adaptable our students, faculty and staff are. Let’s stay focused on having a great fall semester while keeping in mind that the COVID situation is once again shifting,” the email states.