Governor Beshear grants $1 million award to the city of Highland Heights

June 29, 2021

Governor Andy Beshear granted a $1 million award to the city of Highland Heights on Monday to help open the Highland Heights Opportunity House. 

The Opportunity House is a new initiative and partnership between Campbell County’s Brighton Center and NKU that will open in the fall. The Opportunity House will provide support and post-secondary educational opportunities to those youth who are foster care alumni as well as other vulnerable young adults between the ages of 18-24.

The award, also known as the Community Development Block Grant, is in partnership with Brighton Properties, Inc. 

“BPI will lease an office space that has been vacant for 15 years, known as the Brown Building, and renovate it to create 16 affordable apartments in the new Opportunity House for low-income Kentuckians ages 18-24 who are pursuing a college degree or professional certificate,” the press release states.

Residents of the Opportunity House must participate in life skills training and secure part-time employment. Training will be provided in the basement of the Opportunity House, as well as counseling and extensive social services. 

“We want to lift up our fellow Kentuckians across the commonwealth. This project ensures greater access to safe, stable housing, breaking down barriers that often keep folks out of higher education,” said Gov. Beshear in the press release. 

NKU president Ashish Vaidya said in the press release that this community partnership creates a “beacon of hope” and grants access to higher education for youth. 

Gov. Beshear added that BPI will match 83 percent of the CDBG grant, investing $832,105 into the Opportunity House. 

The Brighton Center, located in Newport, will be providing a licensed therapist “to provide intake assessments of prospective residents and a full-time case manager to develop and monitor individual-specific plans, leading residents to educational success, employment and self-sufficiency,” the press release states.