What you missed at SGA: Wellness Wednesday Program, event updates, more

SGA senators and visitors have the option to convene either in-person or online this semester.

Not as many people attended today’s SGA meeting than the last meeting on Feb. 8 regarding the failed impeachment of President Lauren Goodwin.

Senator Aliya Cannon started off the meeting with an announcement for Wellness Wednesday. The event will take place monthly and focus on physical, mental and emotional health as well as COVID-19. Only 24 seats are available and all NKU students are encouraged to apply. The deadline to apply is Feb. 28 at 11:59 p.m.

President Goodwin spoke about the Rally for Higher Education event, which will take place Feb. 26 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear will be one of the keynote speakers along with Dr. Aaron Thompson, president of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education. The event will be held virtually. The deadline to sign up for the event is Feb. 23 by the end of the business day. There will be two workshops to attend during the meeting based on the following five topics in which you can choose from:

• Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education
  • CPE: Advocacy and Involvement in Higher Education
  • COVID-19 & Moving Forward
  • Mental Health: Supporting Each Other Through COVID-19
  • Politicized Issues: How to Unify our Campuses

Chairwoman of Academic Excellence Committee Hannah Miller announced that Victor Talks will be held March 9 at 6 p.m. The theme will be Women’s History Month. More information is to come. 

The meeting concluded with President Goodwin, Secretary of Administration Stephen Cordle and Chief Justice TJ Cleary giving presentations about SGA’s responsibilities, dress code and an overview of SGA’s constitution.

At next week’s meeting, SGA’s executive board will present an overview of what they have been working on throughout this past month.