What you missed at SGA: NKU TikTok, more

Approximately 30 individuals virtually attended the SGA meeting this afternoon.

At the first SGA meeting of the Spring 2021 semester, Dr. Eddie Howard, new vice president of Student Affairs, introduced himself to the student body and SGA President Lauren Goodwin also spoke about how future meetings will be conducted.

Howard, who assumed the position this month, has previously served as vice president for Student Affairs for Youngstown State University, and he said he plans to continue his long history of working closely with student government here at NKU.

“I see myself as a person who is here to serve your interests and to help you navigate through our process here on campus,” Howard said. “If there are issues that are within any of the areas that are under my purview, it is my responsibility to hear what those are and find ways to navigate to solutions.”

According to Howard, he is aware of the challenges that many students are facing this semester due to the COVID-19 pandemic and he appreciates how much SGA has been working for the student body.

“I know that you guys have a Herculean task this year of trying to navigate through COVID as well as all of the other things with the changes and modalities with classes that you’ve been taking,” Howard said. 

Howard said he is available to meet in person or online to address student concerns. 

For the rest of the semester, President Goodwin said student government officials will be given the option to either attend virtually or in-person beginning on Jan. 25. 

Appointment applications for SGA are also now open. SGA encourages all students interested to apply. 

“Let’s get that application out there and get some new fresh faces and fresh ideas in our organization,” said Stephen Cordle, secretary of administration.

As part of the overall goals for the spring semester, Goodwin said she plans for SGA to pass at least three more resolutions. 

“I feel like it’s a really attainable [goal] that we’re on track for,” Goodwin said.

Goodwin also mentioned that NKU now has an official TikTok account (@nkuedu1) that will feature content “mostly created by students.” 

“The [marketing and communications] team will give you a set of guidelines that you have to follow and then they’ll approve all of the videos, but for the most part, all videos are going to be created by you guys,” Goodwin said. 

Chairwoman of the Academic Excellence Committee Hannah Miller and Senator Lily Sis also shared a survey to gauge student interest in a Public Health Masters Program. 

After a brief meeting amongst committees, the meeting was adjourned. There will be no SGA meeting next week due to observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.