NKU plans to offer free COVID-19 vaccine on campus

NKU will offer the COVID-19 vaccination on campus for faculty, staff and students at no charge, according to a recent news release by the administration. Vaccine distribution to certain campus community members will begin in early February. At this time, NKU employees and students must fit specific requirements in order to receive the COVID-19 vaccine under Kentucky’s current vaccination plan. 

“We are currently developing a draft plan and a set of protocols for administering and distributing the vaccine in the most efficient manner possible,” President Ashish Vaidya said. 

Administrators are currently monitoring the Commonwealth of Kentucky’s Draft COVID-19 Vaccination Plan and Updates to develop NKU’s distribution protocols and prioritization schedule. Because Kentucky’s plan will be updated on a regular basis, NKU’s plan of distribution is also subject to modification, according to Vaidya.

At this point, this is the current COVID-19 vaccination schedule:

• “NKU faculty and staff are part of Phase 1C. 
  • However, beginning next week, our licensed clinical healthcare faculty and staff who might be mobilized under the new crisis standards of care operations, and students who will have clinicals in healthcare settings will be able to get the vaccine through our healthcare partners (for example St. Elizabeth Healthcare). 
  • In early February, we expect that NKU employees over the age of 70 and those who work in K-12 schools will be able to receive the vaccine. 
  • In mid-March, we anticipate that the remainder of NKU employees and students with underlying or preexisting health conditions (as defined by the CDC) will be able to get vaccinated.
  • Students without underlying health conditions (as defined by CDC) will be able to get vaccinated according to when Phase 2 (over age 40) and Phase 3 (over age 16) vaccinations are available. At this point, we do not have a date when we can begin vaccinating those students.”

NKU will share any updates through the Provost’s COVID weekly message. At this time, students are encouraged to follow Norse Nine principles.