Associate professor of Business Informatics died over the weekend

November 30, 2020

In a campus-wide email, President Ashish Vaidya announced that Dr. Toru Sakaguchi, associate professor of Business Informatics, died over the weekend while he had been visiting his ailing brother in Japan.

“Toru is remembered as a wonderful, kind person who was a joy to work with and always willing to help,” Vaidya said in the email.

The campus community’s thoughts and prayers go out to Sakaguchi’s wife, Miho, and their daughter, Rise, Vaidya said.

Sakaguchi joined the Information Systems faculty in 1999 as soon as he completed graduate school. He was part of the early planning phase of the College of Informatics and curriculum was always one of his great interests, according to Vaidya. 

Sakaguchi served as senior personnel on the interdisciplinary National Science Foundation CPATH grant in 2009-11, which led to the groundbreaking Principles of Informatics course.

Vaidya said NKU offers their deepest sympathy toward Sakaguchi’s students and colleagues. At this time, the community is encouraged to seek campus assistance when needed.

“Losing a member of our campus community is deeply impactful, especially so close to the end of the semester and the holidays,” Vaidya said. “Please know you are never alone.”

Students can reach out to Health, Counseling and Student Wellness’ counselors and support services by calling 572-5650. NKU also has a 24-hour crisis line at 859-572-7777. 

For faculty and staff, University Wellness provides the Employee Assistance Program through Aetna. It offers online resources and counselors available anytime.

The national crisis line is available at 1-800-784-2433 or by texting 741741.