On-campus dining will transition to carry out only, pass/fail option denied for fall semester

November 24, 2020

Billy Keeney

The Student Union food court now devoid of patrons.

Campus dining, such as in the Student Union and residential dining facilities, will transition to carry out only beginning on Monday, Nov. 30, according to a recent email released by Provost Sue Ott Rowlands. 

The new guideline was enacted in compliance with Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear’s new restrictions. The hours of dining services on campus will remain the same, according to the news release. 

The Campus Recreation Center is already operating under the 33% capacity that Beshear outlined, so it is compliant with the new restrictions. However, the center will require facial coverings to be worn at all times, including while exercising.

According to the email, these new measures are intended to slow the spread of COVID-19, which has increased at an alarming rate throughout Kentucky. 

NKU administrators also cautioned campus community members to use safe practices, such as the Norse Nine principles and “Know Before You Go” travel recommendations, during the Thanksgiving holiday. Kentucky has also released a guidance for celebrating Thanksgiving during the COVID-19 pandemic. These guidelines will reportedly help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the community.

Since NKU has transitioned to mostly remote learning, some students have requested the university to allow a pass/fail option for this semester. However, the administration has decided that NKU will not offer the pass/fail option for this semester.

According to the email, the COVID-19 Academic Affairs working group discussed this prospect, and the results from the spring semester did not meet its student success rates. 

“We know this will be a disappointment to some, but we feel traditional grading structure is the option that best leads to student success,” Provost Rowlands said in the email.

Instead, the Office of Student Financial Assistance has waived the GPA and credit hour requirements for the 2020-21 academic year for institutional merit scholarship renewal due to the continuation of COVID-19.

Rowlands closed the announcement by wishing students and faculty to have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.