Noelle Horn

Election Day is November 3.

Election 2020: What you need to know

Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 3. Here’s what you need to know.

Are classes held on election day?

No, the University is closed and there are no classes on Election Day—Tuesday, Nov. 3. Since most classes are held online, however, you still may have work due on that day. Check with your professors and your syllabus.

How do I know if I’m registered to vote?

An easy way to check if you’re registered to vote is by going to vote.gov. The website allows you to register to vote, check registration status, request absentee ballots and more. Click what state you’re in and vote.gov will send you to your state’s voting website. 

What if I don’t live around here?

If you live in a different state, there are plenty of resources to help you cast a ballot. This year, more states are offering absentee voting due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit the website for your state’s secretary of state to find absentee ballot and early voting information. You can also visit vote.gov to easily access your state’s website. Be sure to check deadlines!

Where do I go to vote?

If you’re voting in person on Election Day, you will vote at your assigned polling location based on the address you used to register. Find your polling location at GoVoteKY.com, MyOhioVote.com or IndianaVoters.in.gov

In Kentucky, polls are open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. local time. In Ohio, polls are open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. In Indiana, polls are open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. local time. If you are in line before the polls close, you can vote. 

What do I bring with me to vote?

To vote in Kentucky and Indiana, you need a valid state photo I.D., like a driver’s license, or a non-photo I.D. like a Social Security card. In Ohio, you need an I.D. or a government document which shows your name and current address. 

Can I get time off work to go vote?

In Kentucky, if you are working on Election Day, you may be entitled to a maximum of four consecutive hours off from work in order to vote or cast an absentee ballot if you make a request for time off with your employer. Your employer may specify the hours you may take leave to cast a ballot. Check with your employer before Election Day. 

I can’t make it to the polls. What can I do?

You can vote by mail, request an absentee ballot or vote early. Check with your county clerk’s office or visit vote.gov to find more information. 

What’s going on in this election, anyway?

Here are some big takeaways for what to look for on the ballot.

The United States will vote for its upcoming president. Republican incumbent, President Trump, is squaring off against former Vice President Joe Biden, a Democrat. Trump has led a divisive four years in office, and Biden promises unity for the nation. 

In Kentucky, the nation has its eyes on former Lieutenant Colonel Amy McGrath (Democrat) challenging Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Republican) to represent Kentuckians in the United States Senate. The Commonwealth will also be voting for new representatives to the United States House of Representatives.

In Ohio, voters will be able to vote for new representatives to be elected to the United States House of Representatives.

In Indiana, Hooisers will be voting for new representatives to be elected to the United States House of Representatives. In addition, Democrat Woody Myers is challenging Republican incumbent Eric Holcomb for Governor. 

While these big races are important, the down ballot races and ballot measures are equally important. Use resources like ballotpedia.org, vote.org and local journalism outlets to make informed decisions on smaller races in your area.

Can I vote if I’m not a U.S. citizen?

No, it’s a federal offense for a non-citizen to register to vote or cast a ballot in any national, state or local election. 

Voting Information

Kentucky:

To request an absentee ballot in Kentucky, click here. Mail-in ballots must be requested before 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 9. 

Early in-person voting for Kentucky begins Oct. 13. 

Ohio:

To request an absentee ballot in Ohio, click here. Mail-in ballots must be requested before or on Oct. 31. 

Early in-person voting for Ohio begins Oct. 6.

Indiana:

To request an absentee ballot in Indiana, click here. Mail-in ballots must be requested before 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 22

Early in-person voting for Indiana begins Oct. 6