Vaidya: virtual commencement, changes to spring break, other updates

September 29, 2020

NKU+logo

Billy Keeney

NKU’s student union

President Ashish Vaidya sent out an email this morning updating the NKU community on virtual commencement, a replacement for spring break and other announcements.

Vaidya said the university made the “difficult” decision to hold a virtual commencement ceremony to honor December and Summer graduates.

The virtual commencement will be streamed at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 12, 2020. Vaidya said he understands this decision will be met with disappointment and frustration.

“I understand and truly share your regret for what should be, but I also must keep the health and wellbeing of the campus community top of mind,” Vaidya said in the email.

In regards to the Spring 2021 semester, Vaidya said it will look “very similar” to the fall semester with few changes, including one notable change to spring break.

Spring break will be replaced with a series of shorter university holidays that “should reduce the risks associated with traditional spring break travel.” The three additional holidays will be the following:

• Monday, Feb. 15
  • Friday, March 12
  • Friday, April 2

Winter Break will also see some changes with faculty and staff receiving an extra day off before Thanksgiving and extending winter break for employees to begin on Monday, Dec. 21, with staff resuming both in-person and remote operations on Monday, Jan. 4, 2021.

The MLK Jr. Day of Service, Monday, Jan. 18, 2021, will also be virtual next year.