Jasmine Cummins

Inside the The James C. and Rachel M. Votruba Student Union.

NKU freezes tuition rates for 2020-21

April 21, 2020

A tuition freeze will be set for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters, according to a recent release by NKU administration officials.  

Current undergraduate in-state tuition totals $9,912 per year for full-time students with $413 charged per credit hour. This rate will remain the same for the following academic year. According to President Ashish Vaidya, the move is one of several efforts by NKU to support student success during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“There is so much uncertainty right now due to COVID-19, and freezing the tuition rate is one way we can provide stability for our students,” Vaidya said. “In recognizing the impact on our students, we believe freezing the tuition shows our commitment to both our students and the region.”

NKU officials also announced that parking fees will be held flat for the campus. 

In addition to other efforts, NKU’s student emergency fund has been awarded to 199 students impacted by coronavirus. Because NKU has moved to online instruction for the remainder of the semester, the university is also still processing over three million dollars in refunds/credits for parking, housing and dining fees for the Spring 2020 semester, according to the release.

“We want to assure the community that we are working through all the scenarios and being thoughtful and deliberative in our approach. We know there has been a major impact to everyone’s financial situation,” said Vaidya. “We may not have all the answers at this time, but we are being transparent on what we do know.  Putting the students first, keeping them safe and assisting them through this difficult financial environment during the COVID-19 crisis is our number one priority.”

According to the release, NKU’s administration is beginning to review scenarios for how it will proceed with the Fall 2020 semester.

The Northerner is currently investigating the impact of the switch to online learning, including but not limited to how housing, dining, student workers, labs, studios and the office of Health, Counseling and Student Wellness will be affected. For any questions you’d like to know about the decision, contact us anytime on Twitter or Instagram. For questions or concerns about how the virus could potentially affect campus, contact us at northerneredits@gmail.com or email the University at covid19@nku.edu. Keep checking The Northerner for all updates on NKU’s switch to alternative instruction.