Provided by NKU

St. Elizabeth picking up the ventilators.

Vaidya announces equipment donation to local hospitals

Vaidya also encouraged new safety guidelines for campus

April 8, 2020

President Ashish Vaidya announced that the University and the College of Health and Human Services donated all of the college’s Personal Protective Equipment and ventilators to two local hospitals in an email on April 8.

Christ Hospital Health Network received three ventilators and St. Elizabeth Healthcare received two ventilators along with N95 masks and Nitrile gloves.

“We are in this together, and we wanted to be proactive to ensure our region’s wellbeing,” said Dr. Dale Stephenson, dean of the College of Health and Human Services in a press release. “Our hospitals may not be facing a shortage today or tomorrow, but with the rising number of patients daily, it’s important that our region battles this together.”

Vaidya encouraged people to donate in any way they can. Information on how to donate is below.

Vaidya also advised staff who must remain on campus and students still living in university housing to follow new safety measures from public health professionals as follows:

1. “Wear a face mask to help protect yourself and others. If you do not own a face mask, please see the attached instructions on how to make a personal face mask as well as recommended materials. NKU will have a limited supply of one-time use only face masks that will be located at the campus mailroom (9 a.m. – 2 p.m., Monday – Friday) for pick up on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  2. Maintain a distance of up to 26 feet between yourself and others while wearing your face mask. The CDC recently increased its recommendation to allow for more distance between individuals.”

Vaidya noted that the next few weeks are critical in the battle against  COVID-19,  especially in Kentucky.

“Some models are projecting that we might reach our peak in terms of fatalities around April 25. While these may be imprecise projections, we must stay disciplined with respect to our social distancing and the Commonwealth’s “Healthy at Home” orders,” Vaidya said. “So as a reminder, please do not come to campus unless it is necessary.”

For people looking to donate, donations are being accepted at all 16 Kentucky State Police posts and at Transportation Cabinet offices in Louisville and Lexington. You can also donate by filling out this form: https://GivePPE.ky.gov or calling the PPE Hotline at 1-833-GIVE PPE or 1-833-448-3773. More information on the state’s response can be found at  KYCOVID19.KY.GOV and more information about the university’s continued response can be found on the NKU COVID-19 web page.