corona+feature

Billy Keeney

Rendering created by the Center for Disease Control reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses.

Northern Kentucky announces first regional case of coronavirus

The first confirmed case is a 66-year-old female in Kenton County

March 18, 2020

Northern Kentucky now has its first confirmed case of Coronavirus. Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear announced five new cases in the state on Wednesday; one of the cases is in Kenton County.

The individual is a 66 year-old female, and is currently in isolation at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Fort Thomas. 

“We have been planning for the possibility of cases here in Northern Kentucky,” NKY Health’s District Director of Health Lynne Saddler said in a press release. “All of us must do our part to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by frequently washing our hands; avoiding touching our eyes, nose and mouth; avoiding close contact with ill people; covering coughs and sneezes properly; and staying home when we are sick.”

The Northern Kentucky Health Department recommends calling your health care provider immediately if you think you may have been exposed to COVID-19. Before going to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and inform them about where you may have been contaminated, any recent travel and all symptoms you are experiencing.

With the arrival of the coronavirus in the region, it is likely additional cases could be identified in the coming days. Practice good hygiene by washing your hands frequently and cleaning/disinfecting all frequently touched areas and objects in your home and workplace. Stay at least 6 feet away from others, and limit non-essential travel.

NKU’s Health Services has set up a telephone triage for those who are sick and need a consultation. Please call 859-572-5650. All other questions about COVID-19 can be directed to the Kentucky Department of Health hotline at 1-800-722-5725.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

The Northerner is currently investigating the impact of the switch to online learning, including but not limited to how housing, dining, student workers, labs, studios and the office of Health, Counseling and Student Wellness will be affected. For any questions you’d like to know about the decision, contact us anytime on Twitter or Instagram. For questions or concerns about how the virus could potentially affect campus, contact us at northerneredits@gmail.com or email the University at covid19@nku.edu. Keep checking The Northerner for all updates on NKU’s switch to alternative instruction.