Provost provides resources for faculty amid online transition

Provost Sue Ott Rowlands updated faculty who are transitioning their courses to an online format in an announcement on NKU’s coronavirus preparedness website. Rowlands said this week she and the deans of the colleges will lead a webinar to answer any questions faculty have. Day one of the webinar started Monday, March 16.

The webinar is available on the Academic Affairs website for students, faculty and staff to watch.

The update allowed faculty to enroll in Canvas classes to learn how to conduct an online course and learn the basics of Canvas. The orientation was held by the Office of Graduate Education, Research and Outreach with the Center for Innovation and Technology in Education. The Online Faculty Orientation can be joined here and “Canvas 101” can be joined here.

Another resource Rowlands referenced was the CITE. The center is offering free face-to-face and online training sessions to teach the basics of Canvas along with strategies to bring lectures online. The center will host online and face-to-face drop sessions where faculty can get individual help.

If students are having a hard time transitioning to online, they can view the Student Academic Continuity Plan to help ease the transition. Any resources faculty need to start learning on their own can be found at the Faculty Academic Continuity Plan.

CITE will also have online office hours every day this week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. IT staff will also be available in each building to help faculty with equipment and training. A list of services the Norse Tech Bar can provide can be found here.

Training Schedule (March 17 – March 23)

Rowlands provided a list of sessions faculty can attend to help with the transition:

Tuesday 3/17

10:00 a.m.       Canvas 101 (Zoom)

11:15 a.m.       Canvas Q&A (Zoom)

1:00 p.m.         Canvas 101 (face-to-face in CITE, Steely 220)

2:00 p.m.         Canvas Q&A (face-to-face at Center for Teaching and Learning, 355 Founders Hall)

3:00 p.m.         Moving Lectures Online (Zoom)

Wednesday 3/18

10:00 a.m.       Canvas 101 (Zoom)

11:15a.m.        Canvas Q&A (Zoom)

3:00 p.m.         Moving Lectures Online (face-to-face in CITE, Steely 220)

Thursday 3/19 

10:00 a.m.       Canvas Q&A (face-to-face in CITE, Steely 220)

11:15a.m.        Canvas Q&A (Zoom)

2:00 p.m.         Canvas 101 (Zoom)

Friday 3/20

10:00 a.m.       Canvas 101 (Zoom)

11:00 a.m.       Canvas 101 (face-to-face in CITE, Steely 220)

1:00 p.m.         Canvas Q&A (Zoom)

2:00 p.m.         Canvas Q&A (face-to-face in CITE, Steely 220)

Monday 3/23

Session descriptions: 

Getting Started with Canvas (1 hour)

This training will cover all of the Canvas basics to get you comfortable navigating and working in Canvas. The topics covered are Canvas navigation, course navigation, and course settings. We will also cover uploading files to a course, organizing course content, and moving course activities online. 

Canvas Q & A (1 hour)

These sessions will be open forums for faculty to ask questions regarding teaching online with Canvas.

Moving Lectures Online (1 hour)

We promise our students 1 hour of interaction with their professor for every class credit hour. So what happens to that interaction online? This workshop explores options for quickly recreating your physical class experience in an online format. We will cover how to run live sessions using Zoom and Kaltura’s New Row. We will also cover recording lectures and sharing them.

“More information and resources will be forthcoming. Thank you for your flexibility and dedication to our students and to the university as we face this unprecedented challenge,” Rowlands said.

If you have any questions or need help, please contact cite@nku.edu.