SGA reschedules presidential election amid coronavirus concerns

SGA in extended recess, sponsored events canceled

March 14, 2020

Through an executive order, student body President Jarett Lopez has postponed the 2020-21 SGA presidential election, originally scheduled for March 25 and 26, to April 1 and 2.

The extension allows the presidential candidates to “adequately prepare for the unprecedented event of holding an election without students on campus.”

In addition, the executive order has put SGA in recess until further notice to comply with the Centers for Disease Control’s social distancing standards. Therefore, all SGA-sponsored events have been canceled.

While in recess, all payments and stipends to the SGA president, vice president, secretaries and chairs will continue, according to the executive order. 

Lopez said in a press release that SGA still stands ready to serve the student body, despite the Senate’s extended recess. 

“We hear student concerns as the university response to COVID-19 unfolds and promise to continue elevating them to the administration. We encourage all of our Norse to be calm and care for one another as we face adversity together,” Lopez said in a press release. 

The press release asks that all SGA-related questions and concerns be directed to sga@nku.edu

The Northerner is currently investigating the impact of the switch to online learning, including but not limited to how housing, dining, student workers, labs, studios and the office of Health, Counseling and Student Wellness will be affected. For any questions you’d like to know about the decision, contact us anytime on Twitter or Instagram. For questions or concerns about how the virus could potentially affect campus, contact us at northerneredits@gmail.com or email the University at covid19@nku.edu. Keep checking The Northerner for all updates on NKU’s switch to alternative instruction.