Billy Keeney

Committee Chairwoman of University Improvements, Onyinyechi Okorie, sharing her “highs and lows” from the past week during open session.

All Card design, advising evaluations discussed at SGA

February 25, 2020

A new resolution proposed by Academic Excellence Senator Hannah Miller and Committee Chairman of Academic Affairs Alan Millward endorsing the universal implementation of online academic advisor evaluations had its first reading in SGA’s Monday meeting. Secretary of Public Relations Jessica Archer also gave an update on the All Card redesign.

Online advising resolution

Billy Keeney
Academic Excellence Senator Hannah Miller and Committee Chairman of Academic Affairs Alan Millward respond to feedback on their resolution.

Miller and Milllward’s resolution calls for the option to have online academic advisor evaluations that will “continue

to grant recognition to those who … [advise] students, provide insight into certain areas of advising that could use improvement, affect the compensation of advisors assist the university in proving that it has fulfilled its student learning outcomes and determine the effectiveness of advising strategies in various departments.” 

According to the resolution, regional competitors—such as Morehead State University, Eastern Kentucky University and Murray State University—have already implemented permanent or temporary optional forms of advisor evaluation and many colleges within NKU already offer optional forms of academic advisor evaluation.

The resolution also suggests that if students are required to complete advisor evaluations, similar to course evaluations, it would resolve concerns from advising about insufficient input from the student body. Additionally, it would produce a “more accurate understanding of an advisor’s performance.”

All Card update

This Thursday, SGA will be setting up boxes in the Student Union for students to vote on three separate designs for the new All Card, according to Archer.

Archer said that in addition to just voting on the All Card redesign, students can also write on the voting ticket about what is stressing them out, what they don’t like about NKU or what assistance they need from SGA.

“A. We get a vote and figure out the next All Card and B., we’re getting direct feedback from students that we can take upon ourselves and get some work done,” Archer said.