Police report attempted sexual assault
October 8, 2019
University Police released a timely warning Tuesday morning stating an attempted sexual assault occurred Monday evening.
According to the release, a female reports being taken and held against her will. The victim requested a ride on social media, stating she needed a ride from Cincinnati to Newport. The victim was picked up by two men in a white Nissan and upon realizing she was not being taken to Newport, she attempted to flee. Preliminary investigation indicates the vehicle stopped in Lot P.
While attempting to flee, the victim stated that the passenger turned around and attempted to restrain her. The driver exited the vehicle and attempted to remove the victim’s clothing. The victim said she bit one of the suspects and fled. Upon fleeing, the victim hid until she was able to call the police. Current information does not indicate that any of the involved parties are affiliated with NKU.
Read the full NKU Police statement below:
On 10/08/2019 about 8:30 a.m., University Police received a report of a female who reported being taken and held against her will. She reported that on the evening of 10/07/2019, she placed a request on social media that she needed a ride from Cincinnati to Newport and she could pay $15.00. She was picked up by two men in a white Nissan. She sat in the back seat, and the two suspects were in the front seat. The victim became aware that she wasn’t being taken to Newport and decided to escape from the vehicle at the earliest opportunity. Preliminary investigation indicates the vehicle stopped in Lot P. The victim states that when she tried to open the door and escape, the passenger turned around and restrained her. The driver exited the vehicle and attempted to get in the back seat and remove the victim’s clothes. The victim states she bit one of the suspects, was able to flee the area, and hid until she called police. Current information does not indicate that any of the involved parties are affiliated with NKU.
Community members are encouraged to be vigilant in reporting any suspicious activity and to report such activity to University Police immediately. Anyone who may have information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact University Police at 859-572-5500.
Sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. While nothing is failsafe, here are some suggestions everyone may want to consider (Note: the following information is general in nature and does not relate to any specific incident):
- Bystanders can often prevent sexual assaults by safely intervening; the level of intervention must be specific to the bystander’s skill, experience, and safety. If you think someone is at risk for sexual assault, get involved by checking in and getting help if needed. It’s on all of us to keep campus safe. Visit https://inside.nku.edu/nvp.html for more information on Bystander Intervention training.
- If you are ever in a situation on campus where you are unsure or scared, get to a safe place and call University Police immediately at 859- 572-7777 or 9-1-1.
- If someone you know is a victim of sexual assault: Listen, support, and suggest options.
- Make sure you have consent. Always seek verbal, sober, and clear consent before a sexual act. Immediately stop sexual advances if the other person indicates no interest or if they say “no.”
- If you’re not sure that you’re getting a clear, enthusiastic “yes” from your partner, it is your responsibility to ask.
- Unreasonably pressuring or coercing someone into engaging in sexual activity is sexual assault.
If you’ve been sexually assaulted, tell someone – there are resources available to help you. Please visit http://nvp.nku.edu/support.html for more information.