Tri-State Band Symposium honors outstanding musicians

January 18, 2018

The+Tri-State+Band+symposium+will+honor+outstanding+musicians+from+over+165+regional+schools.+

Provided by Tri-State Band Symposium

The Tri-State Band symposium will honor outstanding musicians from over 165 regional schools.

Northern Kentucky University will host the 11th annual Tri-State Band Symposium on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 19-20.

The symposium is an experience for outstanding high school musicians from over 165 area and regional high schools in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. The students, selected from a pool of nominees, are placed in either the Symposium Symphonic Band or the Honors Wind Symphony.

This year’s clinicians include Thomas P. Rohrer, the director of bands and music education at Utah State University, and Brant Karrick who administrates the entire NKU band program.

“Students will have the opportunity to learn new musical literature and new interpretations of familiar literature,” said Karrick. “Students also have the opportunity to work with active and living composers as both Dr. Rohrer and I are composers and planning on programming our music.”

The symposium also provides current NKU students the opportunity to interact with high school musicians and to help administrate the event.

The two-day event will consist of a series of rehearsals that lead up to a final concert on Saturday, Jan. 20 from 2:30-4:30 in Greaves Concert Hall. The NKU Symphonic Winds, Symposium Symphonic Band and Honors Wind Symphony will perform at the final concert.